The Amgen Scholars Program provides hundreds of students each year with the opportunity to undertake scientific research projects at many of the world’s leading institutions.
The objective of the program is to provide undergraduate students from different countries (including some from Japan) who are committed to or who are considering a career in biology or related sciences and looking to continue to graduate studies, with eight weeks of biomedical research experience in the basic and translational sciences. Research experiences are being provided by faculty members of the Graduate School of Medicine, Graduate School of Engineering, Graduate School of Science, Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Graduate School of Agricultural and Life Sciences, and the Institute of Industrial Science. By the end of their summer experience, students are expected to have acquired knowledge and skills for conducting research. The students are also expected to extend their international friendships through the collaborative experiences. These experiences will help the students develop future collaborations in many situations.
Application Deadline: 1st February, 2023 3 p.m (UTC+9 hours)
Eligible Countries: International
To be Taken at (Country): Japan & Singapore
Number of Awards: 15
Value of Award: Travel, accommodation, health insurance, scholarship,
Duration of Award: June 6 – August 5, 2023
Eligibility: UTokyo Amgen Scholars Program applicants must be undergraduate students who are:
- Enrolled in colleges or universities worldwide that award a bachelor’s degree (or its equivalent); and
- At the minimum, have completed their first year of undergraduate study at the time the summer program begins, and
- Are not graduating before the summer program begins, and after the summer program ends will resume undergraduate studies for at least 1 semester or 1 quarter
UTokyo Amgen Scholars Program applicants must also:
- Have a strong record of academic performance; and
- Have good working knowledge of English, demonstrated by a minimum TOEFL (iBT) score of 72, IELTS overall band score of 5.5, Cambridge English FCE, TOEIC score of 1095, TOEIC L&R score of 785, or TOEIC S&W score of 310, if not a native English speaker or English is not your first language, and
- Have an interest in pursuing a Ph.D.
How to Apply: To apply, please follow all application directions closely and get an early start on obtaining the supporting documents. Please review the selection criteria before submitting your application. All applications must be submitted online.
1. Prepare Supporting Documents
2. Ask two recommenders for the Letter of Reference for you
3. Complete the Online Application